Tuesday 31 May 2011

Teacher's Pet

"The Chancellor and Senate of McMaster University admit Linda Lee Tufts to the degree Bachelor of Arts (Honours) with all the rights and privileges pertaining to that degree. Dated this 31st day of May 1990 at Hamilton, Ontario."

It's been 21 years since I, dressed in a cap and gown, walked across the floor of that giant gymnasium to collect my diploma. Packed in like sardines, our bodies really raised the temperature of the building. It was so hot that day that one of the guests passed out and had to be taken away by ambulance. I was relieved to be graduating. Eventhough I had had a successful four years of university, I was tired of writing essays and exams. I was ready to complete a year of Teacher's College and then get out into the "real world".

However, as time goes by, I find myself missing school more and more. I was always a conscientious student. I gave 110% in every subject I studied. Being a people pleaser, I was always ready to participate in class, to finish my homework on time and to do whatever the teacher asked. In turn, most of my teachers recognized my hard work and enthusiasm and rewarded me with praise.

I was born to be a student. When I am learning, I feel alive. Writing an essay used to be a rewarding experience for me. Eventhough it would require a lot of work, especially since most of my essays were written in my second language (French), when I completed them I would usually feel really good about the finished product. There's something about creating which makes you feel alive. Whether it's writing an essay, composing a song, planting a garden, baking a cake or painting a picture, creating can be such a fulfilling experience. You put your mark on something. You are able to express yourself and at the same time hopefully grow as a person through the experience.

Yes, I would love to go back to school. I would love to be back in the classroom. I miss the positive reinforcement I received from my teachers. I miss the "high" that you get from creating. You're never too old to learn. In the meantime, I am content to take a summer course every year. This year, rather than signing up for a course, I have signed up for the Christian Writers' Conference which will take place from June 16 to 18 at the Guelph Bible Conference Centre. I look foward to it!



Picture courtesy http://s3.amazonaws.com

No comments:

Post a Comment