Monday 24 June 2013

An Angel Among Us


www.leisureworld.ca



Today I visited my sister Lisa at the nursing home.  I thought I would surprise her with an unexpected visit.  However, when I got to the nursing home, she wasn't there.  It turns out she went shopping with her friend Christine and would not be back until 2:30 pm.  Given the distance I had driven, I wasn't about to turn around and drive right back home.  I decided to kill time until Lisa returned.

I went downstairs to the lunch counter and sat down at a table.  As I sipped my soup, I struck up a conversation with the man behind the counter.  He talked about his three sons and about his eight grandchildren.  He said that he loves them so much!  And they love him.  They want to be with him all the time.  He has "dates" with each of them where he lets them pick the activity.

The more I talked to him, the more I realized he was a Christian.  He mentioned his church, Queensway Cathedral, in Mississauga.  Rob and I attended a Michael W. Smith concert there last Spring.  He mentioned that he worked with youth at the juvenile prison.  He said that what was lacking in most of those youth's lives was the love/attention of their parents.  He mentioned that he leads a discussion group at the nursing home of which Lisa is a member.

At that point, I stood up from the table and approached the counter.  I asked him for a favour:  "Will you pray for Lisa and her family?"  (This past winter I had been very concerned about them and felt an increasing sense of despair.)  He said:  "Yes.  But be careful about what you ask for because prayer is powerful!"  I wholeheartedly agreed with his statement.  I know from experience.  Because the last time I visited Lisa, in late April, I had prayed in the garden with her, her pastor, and members of my prayer group.  We prayed that Lisa and her family would be surrounded by Christ's love.

And that prayer has been answered.  That man behind the counter is an angel.  He is an angel sent by God to do His work.  Thank you, God, for your angels!  God bless you, Richard!



                                       



 "For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways."  (Psalm 91:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment