Tuesday 4 December 2012

It`s Like Riding a Bike

                             

Image courtesy cse.buf.edu.


I remember when my son Thomas learned how to ride a bike.  He tried and tried.  He was on the ground more than he was on the bike.  And then one day it all clicked.  And he road off into the sunset.

I remember when my daughter learned how to read.  I read her story after story.  I tried to get her to read me a story one night.  She protested fervently.  And then one day, it all clicked.  And she couldn`t get enough of books.  She was reading everything in sight.  And not just reading fluently, but with the right intonation.  There was no stopping her.

I have had the same clicking experience in the past two weeks.  For over two years I have been writing my picture book I`m Just a Home Child.  Although I`ve always felt like I was progressing as a children`s book author, I never felt like I was quite there.  And then something happened:  I sat down to write the 27th version of my book, and it all flowed.  For the first time, I felt like it clicked.  For the first time, the editing process wasn`t so painful.  For the first time, I wasn`t stuck for ideas.  For the first time, I felt like I had an inner voice guiding me every step of the way.

I have never enjoyed the writing process as much as I have in the past two weeks.  I think it`s time to bite the bullet and send my manuscript to the editor.  It`s time to send my baby out into the world.  It`s time to get on that bicycle and feel the breeze in my hair, just like Thomas did.




                                             

Image courtesy www.picturesof.net. 





No comments:

Post a Comment