Friday 8 July 2011

My Writer's Club

Three years ago I joined a Writer's Club.  We meet once a month and exhange our writing for critiquing.  Although our group is small, I have learned a lot from our members.  Every November, we have participated in Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month) together.  The task of writing a 50,000-word novel in a month can be overwhelming, but not when you have three other people tackling the same task.  Healthy competition spurs us on.  Well, what have we done with our novels?  My first book sits on a shelf right now.  However, I have turned my second book, about the British Home Children, into a children's picture book and am now seeking a publisher.  One member of our writers' group, Heather, is researching and writing an historical novel about Paris, Ontario during the Great Depression.  Karen, our leader, is working on a fantasy piece.  Our most recent member, Mary Ann, just had her short story published in A Second Cup of Hot Apple Cider!  She is an inspiration to us all.  Last month we attended the Christian Writer's Conference in Guelph.  The faculty packed an incredible amount of information into three days worth of sessions.  What fun it was to drive back and forth together and to share this amazing experience with my Writer's Club mates.  Yes, joining the Writer's Club was a great decision and one that I recommend for any aspiring writer.   Thank you, fellow authors!



Cartoon courtesy http://www.cartoonstock.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment